Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Recipe of the Month. . .

Speedy Layered Chicken Enchilada Pie



So, I only put the recipes that I thought were really good, or that my family went "nuts" over, here is one that I tried for the 1st time, and everyone enjoyed it--wow!
Although the picture may not look so good, it really was delicious and easy to make!


1 pkg. (11.5) Flour tortillas

2 c. Cubed Cooked Chicken

1/2 c. Uncooked Instant Rice

2 c. Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (8 oz.)

1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed

1 can (19 oz) Hot Enchilada Sauce (my kids don't like things spicy, so I used regular)

1 c. Frozen Corn, thawed and drained (I used a can of corn instead)
1 c. Thick 'n Chunky Salsa
2 tbls. thinly sliced green onions (I opted not to use this)
Reduced-fat Sour Cream optional
Heat oven to 350 F. Spray 2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix the chicken, rice, 1 cup of the cheese, the beans and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.
Tear tortillas into strips or triangles and layer them in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1/4 c. enchilada sauce and half of the chicken mixture. Top with another layer of torn tortillas. Spoon corn over this layer. Spread salsa over corn and layer with final tortillas. Top with remaining chicken mixture, enchilada sauce, cheese and green onions.
Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Cool 5 min. Top with sour cream and chopped green onions.

3 wonderful thoughts:

Emily said...

I'm with your kids on the not so hot enchilada sauce. I think it takes those very special taste buds to enjoy HOT! This recipe sounds yummy.

W.W. said...

This looks yummy but I'm afraid it doesn't fit into our family's new "low cholesterol" diet. So sad...

Cheryl said...

I think I'll try this one on Sunday. I actually have all the ingredients on hand. Thanks.